Monday, August 22, 2005

Cars, Trucks, Buses

Rest stops are interesting places. I have been thinking about it due to the fact that I have nothing better to do and I have come to the conclusion that rest stops would make being homeless easy.

I mean sure there are some stipulations. Like you would have to have a car which, depending on how comfortable you want to live, would require you to have a job as well. But a lot of big companies operate near major highways. Like Bristol Myers, or Lockheed to name a couple I am familiar with. The commute to a rest stop from Bristol Myers would probably have been very similar to the commute from my apartment, distance wise. Plus it may cost about a dollar a trip for tolls, at the most. So that’s about sixty bucks a month for “rent”. Plus you got fast food, gas, ATM machine, newspaper, and bathrooms right there.

As far as sleep, you will of course have to make some sacrifices. But this is where you car comes into play. You could get yourself one of those giant conversion vans and live in luxury, or you could get accustomed to sleeping in a bucket seat. If that is the case you may want to consolidate your life and keep as little necessities as possible, so you can at least recline.

Entertainment…that’s easy. If you’re me, you got the guitar…that’s always fun. Plus with all the adapters they have now you can power everything out of your car. Im typing this right now in a rest stop, and I got my cell phone charging at the same time. Not too mention with the Ipod revolution, I got all the music I will ever need, and I can fit it all in my pocket. And today I found out that a lot of rest stops are now including wireless internet…some for free…some for a small fee. It’s only a matter of time before they all have it available.

So as you can see I have thought this out quite a bit. Sure there are downsides, like showering. But once again depending on where you work, there are locker rooms where you can take care of all your hygiene needs.

So its about time we all became homeless and started living in rest stops…Moving from one to the other. Just think of how many people you can meet. Its gotta be better then the bar scene. Especially in Syracuse.

1 comment:

GS said...

glad to see your trip's going well.

say hi to sparky for me.

I hear you're getting around - talked to skeff last night. you're a funny guy.