Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The San Francisco Treat

Today I started working as a consultant for the Genentech Branch in South San Francisco. One of Kathy's friend's owns her own validation contracting company as well, only she has reached the point where she is bidding on jobs and hiring schmoes like me to help her make more money.

So I was brought in thanks to my unofficial expertise on the Kaye Validator 2000, as well as my extended knowledge of temperature mapping. In the next two months I will be doing re-validation studies on two cold rooms, and writing a few summary reports here and there. While doing so I will be making at least five times as much as I was working the graveyard at Target. The work will be a lot more draining on my mind, but it is only temporary and the money will help me move things along nicely, considering I still have to finish this first demo album, and I am already getting excited about starting the second one this winter.

The really sucky part will be the commute to South San Francisco. It can sometimes take a couple hours depending on what time I hit the Bay Bridge both on the way there, and on the way back. I will be able to do some of the work at home, which is nice, but most of the work I will have to be onsite for. So needless to say, I am going to be racking up the miles as well as the gas expenditures.

The good part is that if I do well, she might be hiring people this spring for the CCP2 project at Genentech in Vacaville. Which would mean no commute, and a lot of money to have to spend on music.

In music related news, I have finished recording all my parts for the upcoming demo album. I go in on tuesday with Mike to hopefully finish recording most of (if not all) of the tracks. Then it will just be a matter of mixing and pressing.

This first album is going to be 8 or 9 tracks, and is really just a formality. Like I have said a million times to so many of you, I am not going to spend the amount of time I would like to on it, because we are in desperate need of a decent demo. This will definitely do the trick. However, I have also started writing for the second album which will get all the attention to detail it will need. I am excited about the new songs I have been writing, and even more excited about what direction I can take them when I start tearing them apart and piecing them back together in the studio.

Either way, I look forward to the months ahead of working my ass off on a lot of different things, including the promotion of not an Airplane. That will be something new, and a learning experience for sure.

3 comments:

DwizzyRizzy said...

what the fuck....tell that bitch to hire me....

Nick Shattell said...

Why would anyone hire you Mr. doesn't even know how to use a validator?

Here is my impression of your response to that...

"But I know how to let the operator do all the work while I write numbers on a piece of paper...DUH IM DWIGHT"

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »