Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Typecast Sense Sign thats Unbreakable...

...in the village? (**Spoilers**)

What happens when you make a great movie with an amazing twist at the end of the story that no one ever expected?

Apparently you are expected to do the same over and over again. Much like M. Night Shyamalan.

I went to see 'Lady in the Water' today and I was pleased. Judging from other peoples reactions, the feeling was not mutual. I heard numerous comments that sounded a lot like this, 'Where is the twist?'. As the end credits rolled, everyone was confused as to why M. Night didnt make Paul Giamatti 'dead the whole time', instead of enjoying the beautiful story he put on the screen for us.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the movie, but I did love the story, and despite what most people would say there are a few 'twists' throughout the end of the movie that were very important for the overall message of the movie.

So what I'm trying to say is that M. Night is a great story teller, and at the same time he gets in some good burns on film critics, and does quite a bit of acting himself. He combines fairy tale with realism to create a beautiful story about change and about bringing people together. I recommend seeing it.

I realize this should probably be in 'my reviews' blog, but oh well.

No comments: