Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Perceptive Receptors

I have nothing to write about anymore.

Its weird because I used to be running to the computer, or scrambling to find a pen so I could jot down more and more ideas...and now I've got nothing, and sometimes I strain my brain to think of new things to say.

I think it has a lot to do with the plateau I have reached in my discovering of new art. I havent really been diving into new albums day after day, instead I have just been absorbing my favorites over and over again. I have learned most everything I can learn from them.

See for me, ideas are usually sparked by something that catches my ear/eye in an existing piece of work, and the thought process that begins in my head afterwards. And for situations like that is always good to surround yourself with the rantings of as many different lunatics as you can, to optimize your own interpretations, and to harvest new ideas for yourself. This is lacking in my life right now.

Of course I have taken steps to change it.

For instance, Meghann and I recently started a blog project called 'Smitheringtonville' (see the link to the right), and that has opened up a whole world of abstract thinking and wordplay I have yet to discover. I can learn a lot from other peoples use of words, and even discover a lot of new ones, because the biggest word I know is 'biggest'. Not too mention it is really fun.

George has also helped me out by getting his hands on over fifty new albums at a flea market (by new I mean, we don't have them yet). You see, George and I have a collaborative music collection that grows in vast amounts sometimes, and with all these great finds he has picked up, I will have a lot of new stuff to forcefeed my brain.

I am in a lull. Its too be expected for sure, but this year has just been so productive for me creatively it feels weird to stop for a bit and think things over.

I will be in the rainforest soon. No that is not a metaphor.

1 comment: