Thursday, April 27, 2006

Welcome to the Working Week

Well, Im gonna get a job again. At least I intend to if I can find something. In a week I will be moving to Davis to live on a couch owned by my pals, who are also my bandmates. So I think I will try to find some sort of easy job that is within bike riding distance and I can make enough money to pay my bills and have a little left over to blow on music gear every now and then. So that ought to be cool...except for the working part. Maybe I will become a male stripper?

I am also getting geared up to start branching off into the bay area soon. I keep thinking that, but always hesitate, because sub consciously I dont think I am ready.

We have a demo now as a band, which will help, but we are coming up to another busy month and a half, where everyone in the band is racked with schoolwork so we may want to be patient.

I have done a little writing again too, which is refreshing, cause I was worried it would be hard to get back into if I took a break from it. Luckily for me I have all sorts of great stuff around me to influence me, and I am trying to get better and better. Which reminds me - I would like to do a lot more reading, of poetry and books and such...so I would love to hear some suggestions of things to check out. George - I really want to check out a Henry Miller book, and was wondering what would be a good one to start on. Seriously people give me suggestions.

Anyways, I have been writing some more folky/acoustic stuff recently mainly because I was thinking of recording a solo acoustic album to give me something to do. I mean a lot of people may shake their heads at that statement, because I am also trying to record an album with Chris and continue work with The Human Fund. But due to everyones schedules right now, that work is limited and will take a long time before anything is produced. Especially with Chris, who is almost never available. I usually spend all this freetime practicing, but I would like to branch out even more, which will open up my practicing to more then that of the guitar. It will help me practice collaborating with other people (whoever I get to record and mix said album) and it will help me learn arrangement, since I will be trying to write different parts for different songs and so on.

But who knows what will happen. A lot of my songs I wouldnt be satisfied with being just acoustic, but there is a decent sized chunk I could see fitting that style. So Im gonna keep writing and see what I can come up with. If I can get a solid 8-10 tracks I will really consider completing this project as soon as possible.

I just get really antsy about getting my material out there, and making it so other people can hear what I have to say. If they dont like it, thats fine, but I would be a lot more satisfied if I could make more and more of it accessible.

Anyways Im done blah blah blahing...

Check out the album of the month and such on my mixes blog...

Also, dont forget to give me reading suggestions!!!!

3 comments:

GS said...

Whoa - to go from no reading to Henry Miller is a beat of a jump. He's an amazing writer - but that's like going into the deep end on your first swim lesson.

But, if you do so, I'd start with Tropic of Cancer. It's his most famous book. It reads very poetically - although I'm pretty sure Miller never wrote a line of poetry in his life.

Another good title to check out is Stand Still like a Hummingbird - which is a collection of mostly short essays on a variety of subjects. I personally started with Tropic of Cancer (in that book, you'll read the lines "a hole without a key. If I break my tounge. I shake like a toothache. How Hot and sorrowful." and a bunch of other Yankee Hotel Foxtrot lines)

Miller is amazing though.

As far as other reading goes, my favorite book is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Elizabeth Wurtzel's Prozac Nation is a very good book and she writes about music a lot during it. High Fidelity is another 'music' book. I'm reading A Sentimental Education by Gustave Flaubert for the third time - so I guess I like that (I don't think you will - although it's about a guy who falls in love with an older woman). There are so many great books there - and I know you haven't read the staples yet. Hemmingway, Keruac, etc. al.

GS said...

PS - you're not living with Kathy anymore? What's going on with that?

Nick Shattell said...

Long work-related story short, Kathy is heading back to Maryland for a while, and is hopefully going to get rehired out here in a month or so.

In the meantime Im gonna wait it out here, and keep doing my thing. Whatever that is.

Thanks for the reading suggestions man.

Do you have an poetry suggestions? I am not really interested in poetry persay, but I want to get a good example of what other poets do. Kindof like how I look at other songs and what they do (chord progressions and such).