Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Transformers

More then meets the eye?
Well, I'm not exactly a Transformers expert, and really I wouldn't even consider myself to be a Transformer LOVER persay - more of just a fan...its Nostalgia at best. Just like this movie is entertaining AT BEST...
The effects and action certainly do not make up for the lack of character development and numerous cheesy moments - and whats the deal with the Chevy commercial popping out in the middle of the movie. I just can't wait to go out and buy a new Camaro, I mean Mustang...Oh wait...
If Shia Lebouf didn't remind me so much of my brother Bob at moments I would have been cheering for the Decepticons. Not even John Torturro could make you care about a character in this movie.
My biggest complaint is when movies create these computer generated characters and make them all cartoony personality wise. This wasn't that present in this movie, except with the miniature decepticons - that guy was annoying.
But its all good. I mean think about it...did I expect it to be the best movie ever? Of course not, but it certainly had potential. I wouldn't put it in the Spiderman 3 category, but I certainly wouldn't go see it again. You know - its got a Pirates of the Carribean 3 'lets get married on the deck during a battle' feel to it. Its just one of those movies that had just a couple cool moments, and the rest of the time, you were waiting for another cool moment to appear (it rarely ever did), and you often found yourself wincing in pain at the amount of cheesy moments in between. Even the obvious build-up for the sequel was TOO obvious.
On that note - spend your money on 'Live Free Or Die Hard': Its not exactly the most well written movie either, but at least its fucking awesome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um.. Why would you even go see a movie when you already had negative thoughts in your head about it.. And when you had no interest in it before the movie came out or when you heard it came out. Your review is pretty stupid. Who takes advice from someone who doesn't like Transformers in the first place. I certainly don't. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

While I do agree with the majority of what you said, I cannot agree at all with the over all "gist".

There were several flaws, it could have been MUCH better, and I too could have done without the "cheese". (sorry, they don't allow you to bring wine into the theaters)

But, even with all that, it was still a good movie and MORE than worth the money. The action was intense and the effects were outstanding (some of the best I've ever seen in ANY movie).

Over all, I seriously think that the pros far outweighed the cons, and anyone that is even a "fan" of Transformers should easily enjoy this movie.

GS said...

It was a damn good movie. You just hate everything. You're a horrible reviewer.

Nick Shattell said...

Can someone please explain to me how come Bumblebee could suddenly talk at the end of the movie?

I also keep looking back on that scene where that one guy does a motorcycle slide under a decepticon and shoots it (while missiles are exploding as well), and I cant help but want someone to shoot me in the balls with a laser cannon.

Anonymous said...

It was a great movie! The chick was hot at the least you could have gave her a good review!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure there's only about 5 movies in the entire would that you actually thoroughly enjoy Nick.

Anonymous said...

Explosions and special effets, indeed, do not make a good film. I, too, have a nostalgia of The Tranformers from days gone by, having watched the 1986 film numerous times iny my adolesence, teen years, and early twenties.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is, for the most part, an almost complete absence of character or story development in the new film. "Transformers" was hardly about The Transformers at all. It was also filled with commericals (did anyone get tired of hearing the Ebay product placement)?

I don't think that one needs to be a fan of the Transformers franchise in order to criticize the film. In fact, one who is enchanted by the marketing put forth by such a franchise likely cannot admit that the film was horrible. A good film should not require that the viewer already be familiar with over a decade of comic book history in order to understand what is going on in the film. I think that "Transformers" was written precisely under the assumption that most of its viewers would be familiar with this background, and therefore were really just lazy in writing the script.

J Edwards

Anonymous said...

holy shit. you have alot of new readers of your blog. but alot of them are fucking retarded.

sparkythenomad said...

Dear Dickey,

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm pretty sure that this is the best and most accurate review of Transformers that will ever be written.

Love,

Sparky