Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Meaning of Life...

So the time has come. To pack my bags and journey to Seattle for what will be the biggest moment of my life so far. Sure I've had little brothers, and little sisters born, nieces, and a nephew. I've fallen in and out of love, and yes I've even seen a bear in real life. But all is moot when it comes to the release of the Simpsons feature film coming to theatres next weekend.
All of my friends and I (the only ones missing will be George and Kearney - cause Dwight is going to come - right Dwight?!) are meeting in Seattle for this glorious day as I mentioned above. Seattle is the current habitat of Sparky, and he was unable to get off of work that weekend, so we all planned accordingly.
I have already claimed a seat next to Neil, which will ensure to increase the hilarity of the movie by at least 10% with his giddy laughter. I have been quoted as saying 'when Neil laughs, the world laughs with him'.
So why is it such a big deal? Because the Simpsons has shaped our lives and is responsible for our friendship (particularly Neil and myself). I remember the day Neil went off to college in Baltimore and the only thing he left behind was his collection of nine VHS tapes full of Simpsons episodes...Which I used to pass the time since all of my friends had gone off to school and I was still living with my parents attending community college. It was then that I continued and catalogued the collection (which is now twenty-five tapes and includes futurama episodes) until the DVDs started being officially released.
More recently than that, Neil was on his first tour in Iraq, and to help him forget that insurgents were trying to kill him, I (with the help of one of my co-workers, Nancy) was able to burn new episodes onto DVDs and mail them so he could watch them in his tank (or so I assume). It was the only thing better then recieving large quantities of Pringles.
So not only has the Simpsons been a huge part of my life, but it has probably been the most pinnacle part, considering my entire life's education really comes from those twenty-two glorious minutes of entertainment. I have had entire conversations using only quotes from the show, I have trampled many opponents in Simpsons trivia games and now thanks to 7-Eleven's brilliant promotional scheming, I can enjoy Squishees, Krusty-O's and Buzz Cola.
So for me, this marks the end all - be all of existence. I don't know whats going to happen after I see the movie, other then the fact that I will go see it again and again and again...

1 comment:

GS said...

Wish I could be there.


Or maybe I will be.....

(but I won't be.)

(or will I?)

(no)