Sunday, October 01, 2006

I.E. My Last Post...

Here I go again, rambling on and on about Jeff Tweedy...or moreso the effect he has had on me.

Tweedy is really the first songwriter I have studied extensively. Researching the type of chord progressions he uses, examining his wordplay, song structure, and other tricks he uses. He was also a major reason I started using alternate bass-notes in my own playing. Of course its a standard practice for pretty much any and all guitar players (especially in folk), but I first started to look at it under the microscope thanks to Tweedy (and my good pal Mike).

Everyone knows I got into music about 6 years ago and picked up my first guitar thanks to Trey Anastasio the former frontman of Phish, and now the current frontman of many crappy bands. But I never really studied him for the sake of learning techniques and getting insite into creating music/songs. Sure I learned a lot of Phish covers, especially the easy ones, but that was more for the sake of learning songs for the thrill of being able to play a song or two.

And of course, those who know me and when I started writing songs almost a year ago, know that Jeff Tweedy was (and is) my favorite songwriter and it only makes sense that it would lead to me studying him. Obviously I have branched out and listened to a buttload of music since then, and studied almost every technique I found interesting to the ears. Some have worked, some have not, some I'm still studying, some I haven't even discovered yet, and some I've even happened upon by accident.

So blah blah blah, I am just rambling.

"If you feel like singin a song
And you want other people to sing along
Just sing what you feel
Dont let anyone say its wrong" - Jeff Tweedy (What Light)

No comments: