Thursday, July 21, 2005

Tweety with a "d"

I just read an article about Wilco in some weird hippie magazine that Miranda sent me in the mail ironically enough.

It was inspiring and informative. Jeff Tweedy discusses a lot of his views on his music, and music making in general in the article. A lot of the stuff he says, I found very easy to relate to. The major point of Jeff's discussion were his emphasis on how he is able to separate himself from his music once it has already been put out there...He separates what people think of his creations from his creations. He goes on to say that it doesnt matter what people think and it doesnt matter if you dont sound like Jimmy Page. He obviously uses Jimmy Page for specifics related to himself, but you get the idea.

Which brings me to myself. This is something I have always had a hard time accepting. The guitarist or musician that I am is not the guitarist or musician that I consider good, or noteworthy. But what I have to realize is that I have the skills to be making music. The only real skill I lack is from the lack of experience/practice with the songwriting process itself. This is due only to my intimidation of the whole thing. Basically I need to train myself to overcome this fear. The fear that nothing I can create can be good. I mean of course I am my worst critic and if I hate something, I certainly am not going to enjoy playing it. But this shouldnt stop me from trying to create and avoid the whole artistic process.

Ive never really been involved in an artistic process like this...Sure I have written a couple songs, all of which I cant say I am too fond of...but it is hard to know where to start. But looking back, I didnt know where to start when I first picked up the guitar 4 years ago. The only difference is that I refused to put it down, no matter what kindof shit came out of that beat up old classical with a giant hole in the back. This is the same attitude I have to take when writing. Practice. I need to learn from myself and develop my own styles, and eventually certain aspects will come easier for me and things will start to come together, just like in my guitar playing. Now alls I have to do is put these ideals into practice...literally.

No comments: