Thursday, January 19, 2006

The West Coast Music Scene

Not having a job is turning out to be a lot of work, or perhaps it is just the whole concept of pursuing my dream that is requiring all this stress. I suppose I have never really focused all my energies on something as much as I am doing at this point in my life.

Tonight really kick starts everything off, from here on out its only going to get more time consuming. I am playing an acoustic set tonight with T-stone (the lead guitarist) and basically it is our first show as a 'band', and under our new band name. We also have plans to play at an open mic night on sunday for the first time as a full band setup, complete with drums and all. So its beginning.

We even have an audition on February 11th to play at 'Picnic Day' at UC Davis. It will only be a 20 minute set if we can get in, but it should be a good time, and a good opportunity for us to check out the local music scene and promote ourselves. We have plans to have a demo recorded by the first week of february and then the legwork really begins, as I plan on driving around Northern California in an attempt to get us as many gigs as possible. My plan is to branch us out as much as possible, and given my location it is quite optimal. With both Sacramento, and San Francisco within an hour, many college towns in between like Berkeley and Davis, and LA only a days trip south, branching out shouldnt be a problem.

It is hard not to get my hopes up, but as long as I understand the amount of work that will be involved I can keep a level head. The first year or so might suck...We are going to have to start off playing shitty opening gigs and may even end up in front of metal heads at times - of course if that happens, someone's booking agent should be fired. Not too mention it will take quite some time to even start getting gigs, especially with the numerous people that are musicians in this area, one of the downsides of this location.

Basically, alls I really need to do is keep doing what I am doing...Writing and practicing by myself and with the band, then simply add in the 'playing manager' role and things will happen if I work hard enough. Sure it will become more and more time consuming and I will have less and less time to do anything else, but that only means I am making progress. Luckily for me I have the best group of friends and supporters who always keep encouraging me and help me maintain my sanity. I can become quite frantic about this whole thing. Thanks for all your support everyone - you know who you all are. Your words of encouragement keep me from losing my mind.

No comments: