Monday, January 23, 2006

I Chased a Dream Down the Drain

My goal as far as musically had always been to someday create something of my own that I thought was some sort of solid musical entity. Like an album that I could look back on and enjoy and think to myself how it was something that I created, and something I loved doing. Not only have I taken huge steps in that direction over the past three months, but I have also found new horizons to shoot for on the way.

Considering I have written around 20 songs since November 4th, 2005, and around 10 of them are ones that I love and would play all the time - that is not only something I am proud of - but it easily gives me enough to accomplish said goal above. Its weird because I never thought I would be so productive, and never thought I would be able to consider myself a songwriter or musician in any level. I figured I would be singing Wilco covers to myself til my tired old days in a rest home shitting my pants and eating oatmeal three meals a day.

So not only have I been a hundred times more productive then I ever dreamed I would be, I have also found new enjoyment in the process, and have rekindled my passion for music that was somewhat lost during my days as a cubicle junky.

Last night I played with my new band for the first time on stage, and it really hit home that things were moving along. Especially because we played pretty tightly given our lack of serious rehearsal. Its quite an honor to be part of something like that, not only to be accepted as a frontman for a group of tightly knit friends, but for them to enjoy your style of music, and want to play it. I mean our direct influences arent that far off, and if you were to hear one of Mike's songs you might think its one of mine, and vise versa, so that helps...but still, it makes me feel great and a hell of a lot more confident in myself.


And of course on stage I feel really comfortable. Not only do I have three guys who can cover my ass if I miss a chord or note, but because they are so laid back and we all get a long so well, each performance is really no different then when we are drinking a couple beers and jamming on a few drunken covers. Its just fun. And thats what I am totally learning about it all...is how much I really do love it. Its beyond fun...I cant see it ever getting less fun. And that is why I am so strongly pursuing it at this point. Why wouldnt I?

I guess in the end, its a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is that I am achieving more then I ever imagined I could in this area of life...and the bad thing is that the more that happens, the more and more difficult my goals are to reach. Sure its not a bad thing to shoot for the moon, but sometimes it can lead to disappointment. Is that going to stop me? Never. For once in my life, I can say I at least tried my best if nothing happens. Which is something I think so few people can say when it comes to chasing their dreams.


By the way, if you enjoy the pictures, there are many more posted on our myspace page.

www.myspace.com/thehumanfund

No comments: